Friday, September 21, 2007

another week down

This week had its ups and downs. Monday and Tuesday were pretty fun as we were looking at the relationship of all vertebrates. The lesson was a transition from genetics to evolution/natural selection. Many of the kids were quite fascinated as they saw skeletons of vertebrates and could pick out how those skeletons were just like our skeletons (of course, we are vertebrates too--that was the whole point). The week was broken up by a diagnostic from the NWEA (northwest evaluation association). It measures science skills and is given in two parts. The first test's results tell you the level for the 2nd test. The students weren't too happy about the test and many thought it would count for a grade; however, I told them about 1000 times it wouldn't count for one. I did reward each test with either a tootsie roll or mint and this was well received by most.

The behavior of each class is starting to set in. My 3rd period is quite defiant at times and my 7th period thinks that it's the last class of the day so they don't have to do anything. All of the other periods are quite good and I have a good rapport with each class.

We also had parent teacher conferences and they went pretty well. I had many parents show up who wanted to speak with me. Many students are not doing well right now due to not studying/paying attention in class. Each parent seemed quite understanding of their child's grades and would make sure to get him/her to work harder. Most liked the idea of having a test each Friday due to the low grades--each student can easily pull his/her grade up to an acceptable level with half of a grading period left.

Not to end on a low point, but I have to get a new car. Last Saturday I was driving along 61 in my toyota when all of a sudden the car would not accelerate. I then hear a low rumbling sound which builds and then a "whoosh" along with something falling out of the car. A large smoke cloud appeared behind the car and I pulled over immediately and jumped out with only my cell phone. Two other drivers pulled over to help me out and helped me call the only towing/wrecking service we could find open on a Saturday. We looked at the car once it stopped smoking (mostly oil burning off) and discovered that the piston rod fell out of the engine. Replacing the engine would cost as much as a new car especially given that it would go into an older used car. Luckily, I've found a 04 Nissan Sentra in pretty good condition and on Monday I'll be trying to get a deal on it as its price it much above what it should be going for according to nadaguides.com. I liked driving the Nissan and found it to be a fun car. Its VIN check was perfect. It looks like it was owned for a while and then leased for a period of time.

Tomorrow I get to help out at a leadership training called Quest where many of my students will be taking part. Quest helps students develop leadership and empathy skills and it's worked quite well in the past. One of our school board members is strongly behind it and a few of the middle/high school teachers are helping out as volunteers. It should be fun and a good way to get invested in a few of my students.

No comments: