Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Funny Story

Today went much better than yesterday. The 2nd half of my classes began work on making atomic models out of play dough and construction paper and the first half are ready to start the project tomorrow.

A funny thing happened during 7th period. Many of you know that it's one of my more difficult periods. I had just finished explaining what we would be doing when a new student entered. I welcomed him to the class, he sat down, and I got back to the introduction of the lesson. Then, all of a sudden, the students who are quite disruptive announced, "we want to learn today." They then moved to empty desks in the front of the room and sat attentively for most of the lesson. Sure, there was some joking and yelling out, but for the most part it was almost a perfect class. The class got much farther than my 1st, 3rd, or 4th period classes. I don't know if it was because we had a new student or because we were going to a do a project with play dough or what but for some reason the students had a motive to learn. I did have one of the students at tutoring and asked him about it and he said that part of it was that he liked my class. Who knows what tomorrow will bring but I hope I can keep this going in 7th period.

No comments: