Monday, August 27, 2007

Week 2

Hard work feels good when it's rewarding. My day was longer due to a staff meeting and a "Meet the Parents" night. Somehow, though, I'm not that tired. I felt pretty comfortable today as I started to actually teach content instead of just rules and procedures. Of course I had rough spots and changed how I did things throughout the day. Arkansas has some well written science objectives--they are detailed and precise. It's quite easy to turn many of them into test questions with very little work. Many times students are asked to identify and explain terms, explain a concept, or detail a process.

I did have a few bumps, though, with students remembering to do their "do-now" (or bellringer activity) along with remembering to raise a hand to ask questions. While these seem like small things, if I don't address them then they'll lead to larger problems. It's good to "sweat the small stuff" when it comes to classroom discipline.

7th period (last period) was quite chatty, as well. 3/4 of the class gets to leave 15 minutes early due to living so far away and the 1/4 that is left is not too motivated to work after the others leave. I also get dismissal duty on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, so I don't even get to stay with the students for the last 15 minutes on those days. One student complained today during 7th that I, "work us to the last minute of each day." I'm still trying to figure out how to keep my last period class on track with what the other classes are learning during their full period classes.

No comments: